On my quest to muscle recovery, I constantly look for the best ways to speed up this period of intense soreness. People who know me are aware that I prefer to avoid taking any anti-inflammatory medications including Ibuprofen. One of the most efficient natural solutions are tart cherries. As mentioned in one of my previous articles, this power fruit proves to be the number 1 food that we must consider when we are looking for a speedy muscle recovery. Scientists have tested its effects on endurance athletes.1 It happens that tart cherry offers post-workout benefits, reducing muscle soreness and improving muscle function. Additionally, it provides an awesome protection against the development of heart disease, cancer and age-related neurological decline.2
Most recently, I came across a very good and tasty cherry tart juice that I strongly recommend. It comes in three flavors; Cherry, Cherry Blueberry and Cherry Pomegranate. No-brainer and great natural way to ingest these nutritious benefits.
Want to make your own recipe? Go for this one, it is so so good!
Cherry Tart Dark Chocolate Chip Protein Bites
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup dried tart cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup organic coconut, shredded
- 1/2 cup organic almond butter
- 1/2 cup organic ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup Grade A maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine and mix all ingredients together in a large bowl until mixed.
Let cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Once chilled, roll into balls of the size you want.
Keep in the fridge for a week.
Voilà! “Et Vlan” (for my squash friends)
- Namely: Len Kravitz, Ph.D., Kerry S Kuehl, Erica T Perrier, Diane L Elliot, James C Chesnutt
- Source: Journal of Nutrition, August 2009